If you think you're capable of creating some delicious crisp and crunchy Spring Rolls then why not try out the immensely popular Thai-style version. This recipe can be easily achieved using a simple noodle and bean sprout mixture and then adding to that either pork, chicken, shrimp or a vegetarian filling. If you so wish, you can also try a combination of these ingredients. The rolls are easy to prepare, take only ten minutes cooking time and they are the perfect appetiser.
24 x 6-inch square spring roll wrappers
2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
Deep frying vegetable oil
6 Chinese dried mushrooms (soak in warm water for 30 minutes)
2 Ounces cellophane noodles
1 Cup fresh bean sprouts
2 Medium carrots (grated)
2 Garlic cloves (chopped)
2 Fresh red chillies (seeded and chopped)
2 Ounces either fresh bamboo shoots or canned variety (chopped)
2 Scallions or spring onions (finely chopped)
1 Teaspoon sugar
1 Tablespoon fresh cilantro (finely chopped)
A little ground black pepper
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
2 Tablespoons *Nam Pla (fish sauce)
10 Ounces ground pork, thinly sliced chicken strips and or cooked shrimp
*Nam Pla is a fish sauce made from salted anchovies which are
placed into wooden barrels for fermentation to occur. The sauce does not impart a fishy flavour, but it does accentuate the
taste of food.
1) Drain the soaked mushrooms. Cut off all the stems and discard. Finely chop the caps.
2) If using shrimp, peel and remove vein.
3) Place the noodles in a large bowl of boiling water and cover. Leave for 10 minutes, then drain and cut into short lengths of around 2 inches.
4) Heat the oil in a wok or large cast-iron pan and add the garlic and chillies. Stir-fry for 30 seconds. Remove to a side plate.
5) Add the pork or chicken until browned.
6) Add the noodles and mushrooms.
7) Add the fish sauce, sugar and pepper and stir for 30 seconds.
8) Place the mixture in a large bowl, then stir in carrots, bamboo shoots, bean sprouts, scallions, cilantro and add the garlic and chilli mixture.
9) Unwrap the spring roll wrappers and place under a dampened dish towel while preparing the rolls. This will prevent them drying out. Place the flour in a small bowl and stir in a little water to prepare a paste.
10) Place a small amount of the filling near one end of a wrapper. Turn the bottom edge of the wrapper over the filling, then fold in the left and right sides. Roll up almost to the other end of the wrapper, then brush the edge with the flour paste and seal. You then fill all the other wrappers, in the same manner.
11) Heat the vegetable oil in a wok or a deep-fryer. Place a few
of the rolls into the hot oil at a time until golden brown and crisp.
Remove and place on paper towels. Serve hot with some
Thai chilli sauce.
Thai Chicken Soup coupled with coconut milk and chillies is not only extremely easy to prepare but once accomplished you are complemented with a distinctive flavour that's simply Thai. The perfect balance of spicy, sweet and sour, that's sure to warm up any winter night. Read More.
Tom Yam Kung is arguably the most famous of all Thai soup recipes and has pretty much put this hot and spicy dish on the world map. It's easy to prepare with your favourite chicken or shrimp. And not only does it taste great, it's good to eat too. Read More.
Thai Chicken Stir Fry with lots of crunchy veggies, cashew nuts and then topped with fresh basil is quick and simple to make. Couple this with your favourite rice and you'll have a tasty dish fit for a king or queen. Make it once and you'll be hooked over and over again. Read More.
Thai Fish Cakes are a common sight on the streets of Thailand. While salmon is widely utilised you can easily prepare these cakes with just about any inexpensive white fish too. And In many cases, they are more flavoursome than western varieties. Read More.
Thai Barbecued Chicken marinated in your favourite sweet and sour sauce with added garlic and then grilled to perfection is a great way to enjoy a festive meal with family and friends. Easy to prepare and a tasty dish everyone will surely love. Read More.
Thai Beef Salad can easily be prepared with thinly sliced grilled or boiled beef and a healthy helping of your favourite salad greens and then topped with a tasty Thai salad dressing. This salad can be served as a starter or as a main course. Read More.
Thai Style Fried Bananas are a popular snack food sold from street stalls and floating markets throughout Thailand. Though they are dead easy to produce, just make sure that you don't use bananas that are overripe. Fried bananas are excellent as a dessert and can be enjoyed either hot or cold. Read More.
Green Papaya Salad,also known as "som tam" is a popular salad enjoyed by many the world over. Add to the tarty papaya taste green beans, finely sliced carrots diced tomatoes, peanuts and dried shrimp. Then top up with a nice tangy chilli lime dressing and enjoy. Read More.
Please note that this post contains some affiliate links which means I earn a small commission at no extra cost to you if you should purchase after clicking through my blog. Also remember that I never promote any products or services here unless I've used and loved them myself.
Your host Grahame (Yep! that's me) from Luxury Thailand Travel says he'd really appreciate your kind support. Simply take your next tour by selecting any one of the many excursions listed on the left side of this page. Here's wishing you a safe trip and a happy and exciting holiday.
Dec 13, 18 03:22 AM
If you've ever wanted a River Kwai Experience like no other, then the adventures you're about to encounter here in Central Thailand are going to be something you'll never want to forget because the sc…
Dec 09, 18 03:12 AM
It's no secret that tourists are drawn to Thailand Adventure Sports and there's no shortage of adrenaline-inspired activities in this neck of the woods as a serious number of hormone-induced options a…
Dec 08, 18 11:11 AM
No Licence, No Cover, Don't Drive - Thailand Road Safety. I know we've heard it all before, accidents only happen to other people. Right? Wrong. You're planning a dream trip to Thailand. You've bought…
She'll do anything to make ends meet. Can you keep her secret?